Thursday, December 04, 2008

Advent - Day 6

Home – Proverbs 24:3-4
Friday, December 5

Oh, there’s no place like home for the holidays, words from a familiar Christmas song bring feelings of nostalgia. Three places come to mind when I think of home and being home for the holidays: my aunt and uncle’s home in Southeast Georgia, home with my mother and father in law and the home where our children grew up. It’s not necessarily the places I remember, though I have vivid memories of them. The people who were there made them home.

When we were packing up our lives and moving across country from the house that had been home for over twenty years, our daughter ran across a letter received the first week we lived there. She was five at the time. The writer stated that he hoped she would like her new house and that he knew she would because it was where her family lived. He went on to say that houses are built of wood and bricks, but homes are made by the people who lived in them. Words we needed to read then and words I still carry in my heart.

The writer of Proverbs shared his blueprint for a home in chapter 24. His essential building materials are wisdom, understanding and knowledge. Thinking today of those places I call “home,” I know it is because they were safe, they provided shelter and I was loved and accepted there. There was shared wisdom, an abundance of understanding and a ready supply of knowledge. Home, there is no place like it!

Questions to consider: Where do you call home? Why? Is your home built with the Proverbs blueprint? Is there need for remodeling?

No comments: