Saturday, October 13, 2007

Yesterday was a long day and we're all glad it is over. It didn't help any that we gave ourselves three hours to drive sixty miles for my appointment and had to wait a little over two hours to see the doctor. Tom's stress level was almost off the charts and by the end of the day I was getting a little frustrated.

My oncologist (Dr. R) is quieter, harder to read than my California doctor (Dr. S) was, but he is thorough and considerate of me (us). He just seems a bit more reserved than Dr. S. For me a visit with the doctor is all about what he says, what he doesn't say and what is buried between the lines. Pretty much all I know today is what he said and not much of the other two. 1) He wants me to repeat the scans I had three months ago soon, rather than waiting another three months as is the usual pattern. 2) I'm scheduled for those on November 7 and will see him again on the 9th. 3) He really didn't offer an opinion about the elevated count, but does not treat based solely on the blood count and will wait to see what, if anything, the scans reveal. What I think he was saying is that I may be headed for more treatment sometime in the future. What he did say was that he didn't want to treat until absolutely necessary because of what my body has already had to endure. And one really encouraging thing he did say is that my cancer has shown itself to be sensitive to chemo.

Here's one thing I know with absolute certainty. God has promised me that He will never leave me or forsake me. That is not a promise of cure from illness; it is not a promise of freedom from pain either physical or emotional; it is a promise of God's presence. I can, I do and I will rely on that promise.

After we left Corinth we had to hurry back to Jackson for an appointment with my orthopedist. That, of course, meant more waiting. If anyone has ever been to see an orthopedist and did not have to wait and wait and wait, I'd like to know it. When I did get in to see him it only took about three minutes. My ankle is healed, though he did say that I'd probaly always know it had been broken--a tactful way of saying, "At your age . . . "

Over all, I'd have to say it was a good day. I love to drive through the country, but especially in the South. It is my country. The sounds, the sights, the smells remind me of so much. It was cool Thursday night so the dew was glistening like jewels on the grass and in the fields. Baled hay was a welcome sight. It has been so dry that people with livestock have had a hard time feeding their animals and the hay will help some. Last week my nose told me that the cotton had been defoliated and yesterday we saw brown stalks that had been stripped of their cotton. Since it was the weekend we passed probably a dozen yard sales. Traffic picked up late in the afternoon--a sure sign that it is a busy football weekend. It was the beginning of a pretty typical fall weekend in the South.

Best of all, I spent time with both of our children--one on the phone, one in person. Tommy made a new recipe and I'm still thinking about it this morning. The name escapes me, but it was a shrimp, crawfish and andouie (sp?) sausage cream sauce concoction over cheese grits cakes. It makes my mouth water just thinking about how good it was. Maybe he'll share the leftovers.

Hope your team wins today--unless they are playing ours.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: