Friday, February 12, 2010

A Week of S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g

We have more or less been celebrating Tom's homecoming for the entire week. You'll quickly learn why it was a "more or less" in a few minutes. In most aspects, Tom's improvements have been steady and just what I had hoped for. Tommy and Liz have brought supper every night and he has eaten heartedly of old favorites and tonight was treated with a Cuban beef w/ jasmine rice and black beans "first timer" from "Food and Wine" magazine. (It's great to be a guinea pig sometimes.) He seems to have a bit more strength, noticeable when he rises from his chair and a little more balance as well. Having sitters with him around the clock affords the opportunity for him to walk when he feels like practicing--that will help build both strength and balance. The down side of coming home shows itselft in his independence and stubbornness and in his gentlemanly qualities instilled in him by his mom. He thinks that just because he is home, he can do all the chores that he formerly did--like gather the trash and put out the garbage--not smart to go down steep steps into the garage and into the cold. I practically had to tie him down to keep him home today when I went to Corinth. And, when ladies enter or leave the room, he immediately begins to rise--exactly as Mom taught him. Sometimes what he does is scary; other times they are comical.

Saturday morning the admitting nurse from the home health agency visited, took vitals, history, etc. Right after she left, I excused myself, but before I could even stand, I lost my breakfast and could keep nothing, not even water, on my stomach until 4 the next morning. By then my sinuses were pounding and I felt really bad. Long story short: the advice nurse said for me to go to Corinth Monday for IV fluids, but couldn't because their roads were iced over; got prescription for the nausea; prescription for sinus infection; and slowly began a diet of saltines and Gatorade. Things are much improved! I had originally planned the sitters on a schedule that had me taking care of Tom bymyself a few hours everyday. Obviously, Saturday and Sunday I couldn't even take care of myself much less help him. The WONDERFUL new sitter would not leave our sides unless Liz or Tommy could he here to relieve her. Later in the week, we added her mother to our schedule for a few hours a day and now we have help 24/7. My little episode made me admit that it's okay to not be able to do everything and it gave me some much needed rest! God does indeed work in mysterious ways.

I had a treatment today--rather routine. The blood counts had decreased--I rather expected that they would have and the CA125 had gone up 4 points. We never life for it to increase, but it's normal for it to bounce up and down. One day I might put together essays based on infusion experiences since I had my first chemo in 1982. There was one today that was both amusing and maddening.

We are still wondering what the weather will be next. This Sunday will be the third try at preaching the sermon planned for January 31 and the second try at ordaining and/or installing elders and the second try at celebrating communion this month. Guess what's predicted for tomorrow night and Sunday--more icy/snowy conditions.

We are oh, soooooo happy to be home together. Blessings shower down on us like the precipitation we've been experiencing. God never forgets us and is ever faithful to all our needs.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog Pastor Margaret!I miss you but checking in with you every day or so fills that little empty space in my heart! Thank you for your time and dedication to this.I am so pleased Tom is home with you & family!Pray for Mom.We had to put Daddy in a memory care facility towards the end of Jan.His alzheimer's has finally made his being at home impossible.It's hardest on her.Love,Valerie

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)