Saturday, December 19, 2009

Advent Meditation for Sunday, December 20

In the Bleak Mid-Winter
Scripture: Romans 12:1-3

One morning during worship while we were singing this hymn, the person standing next to me leaned over and said, “This is one depressing hymn.” I smiled back at him and said “Oh, no! I completely disagree.” You see, the bleakness of the evening is overshadowed by the coming of the Christ Child. The angels announced His coming and He was worshipped by those who came and found Him in the manger.

My fondest memory of the hymn comes from my ordination during the Advent Season. Our daughter, Marty, asked what she could do for the ordination and I replied: “write and perform an original version of In the Bleak Midwinter. Christina Rossetti’s words are beautiful and verse four is particularly fitting for an ordination or other service of commitment.

What can I give Him, Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb.
If I were a wise man, I would do my part,
Yet what can I give Him: Give my heart.


Words to ponder: Ask yourselves the questions: what can you give Him? Can you give your heart?

No comments: