Friday, April 10, 2009

After all these years and hearing an explanation, I still arrive at the Friday before Easter and ask, "Why do we call it 'Good' Friday'?" Tom and I attended the noonday service at the church today and, again, were reminded of the horror of what happened to Jesus on that day over two thousand years ago. I sat, listening to the words from John's gospel, thinking not of those who tried, condemned and crucified Jesus, but of how much a part of those events I am. It was for me Christ died. He died so that my sins would be forgiven. I am just as guilty of His death as those who hammered in the nails. It was a sad day in history----but you and I know the rest of the story.

Tony Compolo tells a wonderful story about being in a "preach off" with and elderly, black minister. Compolo preached and was convinced that he had done his best and that no one could beat him. The other minister got to his feet and began in a soft, deliberate tone, "It's Friday, but Sunday's coming." That was his sermon and he kept saying those words over and over until he had the congregation on their feet, proclaiming along with him, "It's Friday, but Sunday's coming." They brought the house down, as the saying goes. As we drove away from our church today my somber mood was turned upside down when I thought of those words, "It's Friday, but Sunday's coming." Hallelujah and amen.

Have a glorious Easter.
Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: