Monday, August 25, 2008

How soon one forgets!

Some of the wondering of last week has answers. I wondered how the treatment would affect me. Now I know. The sudden "sock it to me" fatigue didn't accompany this drug. It was rather slow in coming and it finally dawned on me why I am so tired and energyless--the red count must have dropped. How could I forget lowered blood counts? I also got a series of blister-like bumps on my feet and legs. I showed them to Liz and she asked if they were chiggers. So, we dubbed them "chemo chiggers." (If you're not familiar with redbug or chigger bites you won't know what I mean. Believe me. You're not missing anything.)

Hurricane Fay made it to West Tennessee today bringing soaking rain showers. More is expected, but not to the extent Florida and other states got it. Everything is clean and a beautiful shade of green. I love the way it smells and the way it looks after a good rain. My thoughts and prayers are with those who have had flooding rains--the smell is not so pleasant, it's not clean, nor beautiful.

Are you not tempted to ask why some are flooded and some are spared? The Bible says that it "rains on the just and the unjust." That's common grace. It's God's specific grace that gets my attention and it's that on which I rely. When I think about the diseases that plague Tom and me, I could ask, "Why us?" Spiritually and theologically I don't ask that question. I do wonder about both cancer and Parkinson's medically. Is there something we should have done differently? Is there something we need to know to tell our children? A few years ago I had gene testing to see if I have a defective gene that would have prompted both breast and ovarian cancer. I learned that I'm not defective, only unique. That was good news for my children and grandchildren as far as not inheriting the gene goes, but they could be as random as I. How can my experience help them? I do ask that question almost daily.

It is a fact: God is good all the time. All the time God is good.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: