Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It finally happened! Tom and I visited theFarmers' Market mid-morning yesterday and "what to my wondering eyes did appear"----pink eye, purple hull peas. We bought half a bushel and since yesterday morning I have shelled and put up seven pints in the freezer and cooked another pint for supper tonight. They went well with country fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, tomato-cucumber marinade and the blackberry cobbler yet to be eaten. My thumbs are stained and tender, but what satisfaction to have those peas in my freezer! Now, if only I'd had some tomato relish to serve along with them.

I "gifted" the grandchildren last night with things from the conference, souvenirs from San Francisco and handmade aprons from a friend in Sacramento. Meredith had us put on her apron, opened a giant sucker Aunt Marty sent and carried around her cable car replica for the rest of the night (and I'm told today as well), saying all the time, "I just love it." Jake was spending the night with a friend so he didn't get his goodies until this afternoon when he and Drew walked down to our house to say hello. Sarah had six teeth pulled yesterday (has two more to come out Monday) but nothing can dim her beautiful smile! We should all take a lesson from children. For the most part, they just like the notion that you thought about them enough while you were away that you brought them something. What may seem like nothing to me is a big deal to them.

Too often we don't acknowledge this day as a gift. We take days, life, breath, necessities of life for granted. We act as if those gifts are nothing, but what big deals they are! Last night Tom and I went to the monthly Parkinson's Support Group and as I listened to people share the particular symptoms they suffer I couldn't help but silently thank God for Tom and the things he doesn't have. It's true he cannot do the things he once did, but he loves, he enjoys his family, his faith sustains him and his sense of humor keeps me laughing. He will always be the love of my life and I know everyday we have is a gift.

"This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it." We will also eat peas all winter and be glad.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: