Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's been two weeks since the tornadoes came through Jackson and today the Union students returned. Classes begin for them tomorrow. Saturday Tom and I drove into the the part of town that took the brunt of the storm and shook our heads in disbelief. When I saw the remains of the Union campus a chill ran up and down my spine as I wondered how there could have been no deaths in the midst of all that destruction. God's protective hand was certainly present. Liz's mom sent me this link you might be interested in watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiHCrsK8. It tells the story.

I learned Friday of last week that the CA125 that indicates cancer activity has gone down another five points. God's protective hand remains with me as well!

We had a great anniversary! We received cards and calls from friends and family members. It was a holiday for many, including the schools, so we didn't have Elisa for the day. We spent our day running a few errands, having lunch at my favorite Jackson restaurant, Tom had speech therapy and we ate seafood gumbo with Tommy and his family in the evening. We really enjoyed ourselves, but were tired at the end of the day.

Wierd weather patterns continue. The local TV weathermen are frustrating the school children to no end with their predictions of ice and/or snow. Several times this winter they have gotten everyone's hopes up and then nothing of any consequence happens. Once again we have been alerted to ice/snow possibilites beginning tomorrow late and continuing through Friday. Who knows? Thankfully, we don't have to go out for anything.

Tom and I went to church together on Sunday for the first time in weeks. Even the Sundays I've substituted in Sunday School or preached in a neighboring town, he has not felt like going with me. It was good to be in worship and to have two of our grandchildren sitting with us. The lectionary gospel reading in John 3 was the text for the sermon and the approach was one I haven't heard before. The minister spoke of Nicodemus and how much we resemble him. He said and did all the "right" things, but could not understand that it's really about believing. The sermon made me think: is my spiritual life focused on "right" words, "right" traditions, "right" actions? Or is it focused on Jesus, the Son of God and my relationship with him? He did for me what I could never do for myself. He gave his life so that I could also have life. Anything "right" should come from my grateful heart. It's too bad that doing church often gets in the way of being the Church!

Til next time . . .
Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: