Thursday, February 28, 2008

At exactly 1:11 p.m. on Thursday, February 28, Elisa turned over from her back to her tummy. Once there, she wasn't sure what to do with the arm she was crushing underneath her. We were both watching and cheered as if it were some major accomplishment. It was! She is our granddaughter and we saw it first--just one of those bonuses that comes with being a grandparent!

I don't remember exactly when either of our two children turned over for the first time. I was too busy with life, with taking care of them, trying to run a household and supplement our income by teaching piano. I was too busy to celebrate the important things--or so I thought. Keeping Elisa and talking to Marty about Christopher reminds me of the early months of our children's lives. The memories are both sweet and bittersweet. The love I felt then for our children has grown and grown and grown. But I remember being so busy that I didn't savor every moment with them. With Elisa, it's different. Everything else in our lives takes second place to her. We are present for one another. That's what I hear when I talk to Marty. Everything takes second place to her care of Christopher at this time in his life. She gets it!

Tom and I love being grandparents. It's another of God's gifts to us and we know it. We love our children and the spouses God has given them. They, too, are gifts! We are fortunate, indeed.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: