Saturday, June 09, 2007

Writing about my own health reminds me of that old joke about the woman who gave an organ recital every time she saw you. My mother loved that joke though she was perhaps the greatest "organist" of all. I vowed I would never be like that. Rehashing the problems doesn't necessarily make things better, but for those of you who are kind enough to care, I'll give the latest news. We went to the doctor yesterday and had the ankle x-rayed. The good news is that the bone has not moved so surgery will not be necessary. The bad news, but certainly not unexpected, is that my feet need to remain immobilized for another three weeks--until July 5 when I have another appointment. I'll have to continue staying off of them as much as possible, but will be able to get around with a walker. Who knew that the lessons I learned about using a walker and how to pivot from one seated position to another in the nursing home last fall would be maybe more useful later?

This morning my attention was drawn to two verses in Psalm 37 by which I had put the notation: "seminary 1995." Verses 23-24 say: If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. I had marked the passage shortly after entering seminary in February 1995. I believed I was where God wanted me to be, but wasn't sure why or where the path would lead. The verses said to me that if I was indeed doing what God wanted me to do then He would firmly plant my feet and guide me. There might be stumbling blocks and the way might be bumpy, I might stumble, but I would not hit bottom because the Lord was holding me. Here I am twelve years later and know how true the verses are! This morning I read them with another seminary experience in mind--Tommy's. Just in the last few days he and I have been discussing seminary opportunities for him and he's been investigating a particular one that has not been in the picture until now. If the Lord "delights in Tommy's way," the path there will be made plain.

Then I thought about the rest of what I read and was again reminded of God's sense of humor: though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. I certainly don't take that literally. I did stumble and did fall down the steps. God did not magically hold out His hand and catch me. Physically, I fell. Spiritually, I know I will not hit the bottom because I am confident of God's presence and His steadfast love. That powerful hand is holding us fast.

Three more weeks of lounging. It might become a habit.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: