Saturday, March 17, 2012

Home Again . . .

The week went by far too quickly! I spent two nights with my friend, Dot and her husband, Jim, in Montgomery and we talked non-stop while we were awake. One highlight of my visit with her was hearing about the new church she and Jim have joined and then attending a church supper while I was there. There was absolutely no friction present, no cliques, just a group of committed Christians intent on being Christ like. How refreshing!

My time in Southeast Georgia brought healing to my soul. Even the drive through the heart of peach growing country was therapeutic! I have always loved the country, seeing all the crops and the rich dirt ready for planting. The peach trees were in bloom and were almost as pretty as almond orchards when they bloom--almost, but not quite. The night I arrived a 75th birthday supper was being given for my cousin's husband and I got there right in time for "low country boil," fried fish, hushpuppies and cold slaw. It was a treat! On Sunday I worshiped with Aunt May and Julia at the Lutheran church I attended as a little girl living with them. It brought back memories of Sunday School in a one room church, heated by a wood stove. Much of what I learned in Sunday School came from there. In the church service I couldn't remember all the places to stand and sit, but that was okay.

Aunt May is remarkable--still! She always has been remarkable to me. Other than a little patch of gray over her ears, her hair remains dark blonde at age 94. Obviously, I didn't inherit the genes from that side of my family. She said that the people in the retirement home where she lives can't believe she is 94; she doesn't look it, but then I wonder, what does 94 look like anyway? She represents home, faith, family, unconditional love and has made a profound impression on my life. Her care for my uncle as they struggled through Alztheimer's together was amazing and I remembered that care when our circumstances turned me into a caregiver.

Julia, who is more sister than cousin, and I had fun together. She took me to see the old familiar places and to introduce me to some new ones; we went to Savannah one day. There is no more beautiful city anywhere!!! I saw other cousins and was especially happy when one drove up with his wife from Jesup just to eat supper one night. One night Carsie, Julia's husband, took us out to eat, but mainly we stayed close to home and just enjoyed being together. I have a most wonderful family!

The chickens have "come to roost." While I was gone Liz got 14 baby chicks; I forget the kinds, but I remember there are four each of three kinds and then two little yellow chicks. They're cute now, but I don't know how long the cuteness will last. All I can say, is: "Bring on the eggs."

It's good to be home and I'm anxious to get on with the projects I have outlined for myself. In my time away I had much time to reflect on the past and consider the present and the future. How easy it is to get bogged down in things, as I have. God has been so good to me. I have terrific friends, a wonderful family and the memories of an extra special husband. Most of all I am a child of God. What more could I ask?

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: