Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Usually when I write I have something on my mind, but I'm a big blank today. There are no burning issues, no significant updates, no new stories. We're really rather boring. Even the weather is dreary.

Last Friday was our regular visit to the oncologist in Corinth and the report was better than anticipated--both red and white counts were up some. That's always good news. If we could get a handle on the fatigue, that would really be good! Tom still is having his shaky moments, usually associated with his getting chilled. He gets cold, starts shaking internally and goes downhill from there. The temperature in our house reminds me of going into houses of other older folks and wondering how they could stand it being so hot. Now we are those "other older folks."

Our front bedroom is beginning to look a bit like the North Pole. Liz has begun to "hide" things over here among the things I'd already bought. Much of my shopping is being done on-line and being delivered right to the front door. How convenient! My earliest memories of Christmas shopping are of wet, cold December days hurrying around in the Memphis traffic downtown. That was when major department stores anchored the corners on Main Street and you could have lunch in one of the store tearooms, entertained by models wearing the latest fashions. Those days are gone, as are the stores from Main Street and the personal touches they provided. One of my favorite memories is of Mr. Peanut handing out samples in front of the Planter's Peanut store downtown. He's gone too, but I still remember the roasted peanut smell. Ah, the good old days! I miss them, but there is something to be said for convenience.

It's a good day for being inside. Maybe I'll start the Christmas cookies or catch up on wrapping what's left in the fron room. It's a good day period. It's the day the Lord has made. No matter what, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: