Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It seems like I haven't written in days and it looks like that too. The fact is I spent a couple of hours last Saturday sharing some verses from Psalm 56 that were especially meaningful to me. For some reason the "blog editor" didn't like my punctuation and when I tried to change it, I lost everything I had written. What a bummer.

I taught Sunday school and stayed for church on Sunday. When I got home my feet and legs were exhausted. It was my first outing without the walker and I sat all that time with my feet on the floor. Though I was tired, I was glad I had stayed for Church. Tommy preached the best sermon I've heard him preach and God was glorified. This Sunday I preach and am so glad to have the opportunity. It will be my maiden sermon at the church where Tom and I now worship.

We've been enjoying West Tennessee vegetables--pink eyed purple hull peas, baby limas, corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant. And I have enjoyed getting back into the kitchen to cook. Our new church family has been better than good in bringing us meals, stopping by the store, going to the farmers' market and taking us to the doctor when Tommy cannot. Being the independent soul that I am, however, it makes me feel as if I'm on the road to recovery when I can begin to do a few things for myself. I'm learning to do more and more things sitting on a stool at the kitchen counter or in a chair at the table. Tomorrow I get to try a tennis shoe on my left foot and we're hoping that will work and make my legs level.

We've also become reaccquainted with scattered thunderstorms on an almost daily basis. The rain is welcome, both because the farmers need it and because our yard is thirsty, but the humidity is oppressive. Last night Tom asked if I'd like to go sit on the porch for a while after supper, but when he opened the door he said, "You'd better check out this air." It was like a sauna--we opted for inside air conditioning. We have been spoiled by the cool California nights and the Delta breeze.

The verses from Psalm 56 on which I commented and then lost last Saturday are 12-13: I am under vows to you, O God; I will present my thank offerings to you. For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life. As I read those words I was reminded of two different sets of vows I have made to God: my marriage vows and my ordination vows. I know that it is God who has delivered me from death, not once, but four times. Literally, my feet have stumbled, but God has protected me. Why? So that I might "walk before God in the light of life." I do not understand "whys" of life, but God does and is not finished with me yet as a wife or a minister. I do not understand the healing of God that I have experienced, but I am grateful and rest completely in God. I do know that I have received His gracious blessings so that "I may walk before God in the light of life." Those were holy words to read in a week that I had once again received the "cancer free" phrase from the oncologist. The morning I read Psalm 56 I came away with renewed assurance and a fresh determination to indeed walk before my God in the light of life He continues to give me.

Tom and I are blessed and grateful that we have one another and that we have family and friends who walk with us.

God bless you,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: