Friday, June 18, 2010

Breaking Silence . . .

Several of you have e-mailed or called because I've been away from the blog, Face Book, and e-mail communication for a while. Here is a whole bevy of reasons. Last week was extraordinarily busy: preparing for the last Sunday at Humboldt, going for a regular treatment on Friday and we were pleasantly surprised by a visit from Tom's brother. We had not seen him in about five years and had such a good time while he was here. He and his wife, Susan, are moving this weekend from Richmond to a little town below Denver . That's a long way from here!!

This week I adjusted to not having a deadline or sermon preparation--still feels funny. On Tuesday I had a delightful lunch with Humboldt's new pastor. Though there are challenges, as there are for any new person taking over a pastorate, I believe she will be excellent in her new call. I look forward to a growing friendship with her and watching as God works through her.

Wednesday, I dressed, went by the Farmers' Market and on to the grocery store. Then it started. I began feeling lightheaded and dizzy, with numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. It was not something I had felt before now, though I do have numbness and tingling in my hands and feet--a chemo side effect. I felt exremely weak and wondered if I would make it to buy groceries and drive home. Fortunately, I made it. After resting and drinking lots of water I felt almost back to normal. When I got up about 2 to go to sit with the little girls while Liz took Sarah to the orthodontist, I had another episode and realized I couldn't/shouldn't drive or be responsible for children. I called the cancer clinic and was told by the nurse that the symptoms described were those identified with heart attacks or strokes and that I should get to the ER right then. So, tonight after two nights in the hospital, too many tests to remember, I am home.
Tom's neurologist has now become mine and we couldn't be more pleased and our daily sitter, Kia, arrived here as usual at 9 a.m. Wednesday and never left us until we were home and settled at 4 this afternoon. Her care and loyalty is unbelievable!! For those two people we are very grateful!

The verdict: there is evidence of TIAs and narrowing of blood vessels in my skull. The two episodes I had were the TIAs. The heart was not involved. Now, we'll need to balance medication for this new issue with the cancer medications, I'll have to change some eating habits and certainly not ignore symptoms, blaming anything quirky on chemo. I can tell that my left leg and hand are weaker and not as easy to control which could have implications for driving right now. I don't have to tell you how to pray.

I do plan to be a better communicator. We love you and are so glad you are a part of our life!
We are safe in the arms of our mighty God.

Pastor Margaret


Bubblewench said...

Very glad to hear you are doing better. Have been keeping you in my prayers and thoughts!

Anonymous said...

You have been constantly on my heart and in my prayers, Pastor Margaret.

Take it easy so your body can heal.

Love to you,