Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother's Day came and went; I preached, as planned in Humboldt, Tom and I enjoyed a quiet afternoon and then went to Tommy's for a specially prepared dinner. My, was it good! He broiled red snapper in a chardonnay sauce, topped it with crab meat and served it over a bed of spinach. The portions were so big, we brought enough home to have for Monday night supper. Even though I love it, I don't cook much seafood, so I'm happy to have someone else cook it for me. Best of all was being with all of them and hearing from our North Carolina family by phone.

Yesterday was a meeting of Presbytery, held in Memphis, of course. It seems most meetings end up being in Memphis. During the afternoon part of the meeting I noticed a man that looked a little familiar. It helped that he was sitting with a man who had been identified as the pastor of the West Memphis church. When the meeting was over I stretched to see his name tag and sure enough, I knew him. He and I were in youth group together. He had a head full of white hair and I thought how much older he looked. He told me he wouldn't have recognized me if I had not spoken to him first. Do I not realize that I have aged as well? How do I explain all this white hair on my head?

We often do not see ourselves as others see us. I first began to realize that others saw aging changes in me when grown people said, "Yes or no maam" to me. That was years ago. I din't think I looked old enough to merit being called a "Maam." Most people around here call me "Miss Margaret" and I've wondered if that's an age thing. Finally, I realized that it's cultural. Still, it's hard to look in the mirror and see wrinkles, a double chin, snow white hair and lots of extra weight. Fortunately, we can rely on the words Samuel told Jesse when he went to anoint a king to succeed Saul: Man looks on the outside; God looks on the heart.

Tom has been pushing himself lately to exercise and walk a little bit each day. We know he needs to maintain some muscle strength or he is more prone to fall. Both of us got a little exercise today working in the yard. When I got up he suggested that we go to IHOP so I could feast on one of their strawberry specials and then to a nursery he had seen advertised on TV. I had bulletin information to finish for Sunday first, but we did make it to IHOP for lunch and to buy some plants afterward. Our ground has really been too wet to set anything out and more rain is predicted for tomorrow, but we came home and got at least half of what we bought in the ground. I was anxious to get the lantana out so it would grow, bloom and attract the butterflies and hummingbirds. Tonight we both have tired muscles.

It's been a good week with family, seeing an old friend, digging in the dirt. God continues to bless us and we are glad.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

No comments: