Saturday, November 27, 2010

Just Lazy . . .

Blogging has not been a priority lately. Maybe my lack of computer in October pushed me out of the habit. Or it could have been that my brain was on overload. Whatever. When I looked at the date of my last post I was surprised that it had been two weeks and I've missed you.

During my weeks away, we have celebrated my 70th birthday, had Thanksgiving and partially celebrated Liz's birthday which fell on Thanksgiving day. She braved the crowds for Black Friday shopping and though I didn't leave the house, I had a credit card number stolen--and used. One of the reasons for brain overload was my trying to get Advent devotionals ready in time. I didn't make it, but at least I'm a step ahead for next year.

Another day I participated in a program for an older adult luncheon at the church. It didn't require major preparation because I've done this one many times, but I did have to get organized. We called it "Gifts You Give Your Children" and focused on end of life decisions, funeral/memorial service plans and documenting your life, especially your spiritual life. I enjoyed doing it and came away with ideas for future activities.

The highlight of the day was when the church playschool children walked quietly through the fellowship hall where we were having lunch. Elisa saw us and immediately said, "Maw Maw, Paw Paw" loud enough for everyone to hear. You know that tickles us! Next whe looked the other direction into the kitchen and saw her daddy and in an even more excited voice called his name. A friend said she had never seen such a grin on Tommy's face. Her reaction made me think about a book I gave Tommy on his 21st birthday. I think the name of it is I'll Love You Forever and it tells of a little boy's birth, his life in his family and how the mother was always there to care for him, saying, "I'll love you forever." The illustrations show the mother holding him in her arms, lifting him when he couldn't lift himself. Toward the end, the roles reverse when the boy becomes a man and cares for the mother, holding her and lifting her when necessary. I am experiencing that role reversal. As I saw the looks on Elisa's and Tommy's faces there was nothing but love, acceptance and trust in their eyes. I had this thought: our children really cannot comprehend the love we have for them until they have children of their own. It's a special thing to see your children with theirs, to see the love you have for them reflected on their faces as they care for their children. We give thanks everyday for our children and their families!

Advent begins tomorrow. I trust it will be for you a time of anticipation, of hope, of peace, of joy and of love as you look forward to celebrating the first coming of Christ.

Blessings,
Pastor Margaret

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for off topic, but 2012 is close, is this really matter?